Weekly Wellness Update (Week of 10.20.21)
Good morning, friends and members. We are sharing weekly updates with you from Tom Williams, the President & CEO of Johnston UNC Health. Please find the information from 10.20.21 below. Thank you!
- Our covid inpatient admissions have been slowly decreasing and we are currently at 29 total (5 of these are >21 day admissions/long term)
- We have 15 ventilators running; 9 are covid patients
- We only had one covid related death in the past week
- About 90% of our admissions are unvaccinated; which is essentially the same % as seen across the State at all our UNC hospitals.
- Total NC admissions and UNC hospital admissions continue to decline
- Forecast remains essentially the same as last week’s analytics
- Actual admission data is running just below the average mean of the forecast (which is a welcome sight!)
Total Hospital Census and Surgeries:
- Midnight census total patients was 199. We remain very busy; but we do have ICU bed and med/surg bed capacity now.
- Starting back today - we have re-initiated surgery for non-emergent surgeries requiring an inpatient stay. Recall these were put on hold back in August during our peak covid surge due to bed availability limitations. We estimate that we have about a 100 case backlog of cases that we are now performing/scheduling.
Monoclonal Therapy Update:
- Regen-Cov monoclonal antibody therapy is a FDA Emergency Use Authorized treatment for mild to moderate coronavirus disease, or for post exposure prophylaxis of Covid-19 in patients who are at high risk for progression to severe Covid-19.
- UNC Johnston Health has added a site located here at our Smithfield hospital for outpatient subcutaneous injection. We opened this on Monday of this week.
- Johnston County now has 4 sites actively giving this therapy – either administered as an IV infusion or subcutaneous injection.
Current locations and hours of operation:
- UNCPN Flowers - open Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday (IV)
- Benson Health – open Monday through Friday, 0800-5p (subcutaneous)
- FEMA – located at our Smithfield campus north parking lot; open 7 days a week, 0800-5p (subcutaneous)
- Johnston Health Smithfield hospital – 7 days a week, 7a-7p (subcutaneous)
Tommy Williams, MHA, RRT, RCP | President & CEO
Johnston UNC Health
509 N. Bright Leaf Blvd., P.O. Box 1376, Smithfield, NC 27577
O: (919) 938-7111